Monday, October 28, 2013

A Fun and Productive Weekend in SF

Let me first start by saying how great it was to spend some time with my family. Not every mom is willing to say yes to doing a 5k at 8am on a Sunday morning while her daughter runs a half marathon. I was proud of my mom for completing her 5k, although she ended up lost on the 5k route so her time was recorded properly. The best part of the race was the end when I saw my mom cheering me enthusiastically at the finish line. We ate breakfast with my Aunt Tina afterwards. My Dad has been a great help with wedding planning. We went to Chinatown to a print shop that's probably been there for 50 yeas, and found our invitations - sorry that will have to be a surprise! It was very nice to have my Dad help me choose. After my half, Dad and I went food shopping and then enjoyed the most best meal ever, hot pot, or in other words, kind of like Chinese fondue, perfect on a cold day. It was better than a meal at any fancy restaurant. We talked, we laughed, we ate. The perfect ending to a great day. Mom found a fantastic make-up artist too. It's all coming together!

Run with the Jets Review:

Pros:
Flat course
Small intimate race
8am start time
Free parking and lots of it
Food offering was decent, bagels (which were super soft and chewy), cookies, bananas, and lots of free drinks, water, flavored water, coconut water
Chiropractor providing complimentary stretching for runners
Clearly marked mile markers

Cons:
Scenery, wire cables, sewage smells every now and then, saw a few planes, but it was foggy and tough to see
Narrow running path, you'll always be running near or next to someone, so if you're next to a couple of chatty cathys like me, bring headsets
Volunteers weren't helpful with information - I asked if there was bag check, the volunteer didn't speak English , but speaking the language should probably be a requirement if you're at the info table. At a water station, I asked where the next bathroom stop was, she didn't know or did she intend to find out was the tone.
No gear check
Couldn't hear the announcer at the start of the race, we still didn't know when the 5k runners were supposed to start
1 porto potty at the 4 mile mark - there should have b
For the 5k, lack of volunteers for the slower racers so some weren't exactly sure where to go
Medals were a flimsy
For such a small race, it would have been great to announce the race finishers' names as they end

A lonely road - a view of my course at the 9 mile mark.

The end of a 13.1 mile journey. Happy as a clam.

Now let's eat!

Me at my makeover - nice lashes, wish they were real.


Love my new purse - what a find.

No comments:

Post a Comment